close
close

Wigan men charged with terror plot against Greater Manchester Jewish community

The men are accused of planning to cause ‘multiple deaths using automatic weapons’

Author: Nathan MarshPublished 20 hours ago

two men who allegedly plotted to carry out an Islamic State-inspired gun attack against the Jewish community appeared in court.

Walid Saadaoui, 36, of Crankwood Road, Abram, and Amar Hussein, 50, of no fixed abode, are accused of planning a terrorist attack to cause “multiple deaths using automatic weapons” in north-west England , Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard. Tuesday.

The two men had intended to target “the Jewish community in the north-west of England and members of both law enforcement and the military” as part of a “terrorist attack inspired by Isil or Daesh”, prosecutors told the court.

Both are accused of preparing terrorist acts between December 13, 2023 and May 9, 2024.

Bilel Saadaoui, 35, of Fairclough Street, Hindley, also appeared in court accused of making arrangements for Walid Saadaoui – who is his brother – after his death.

He pleaded not guilty to a charge of failing to disclose information about an act of terrorism between the same dates.

The defendants appeared separately in the bank, flanked by police and wearing gray hoodies.

Hussein, who represented himself and had an interpreter, would not speak to confirm his name, date of birth or address.

The other two men spoke only to confirm their identities.

Angelo Saponiere, defending Bilel Saadaoui, said his client was a “family member” who did not know about the alleged plans.

The men were arrested last week after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) executed four warrants in Bolton, Great Lever, Abram and Hindley.

District Judge Louisa Cieciora remanded all three men in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on May 24.

GMP Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, who has responsibility for counter-terrorism policing in the North West, spoke after the hearing.

“Today’s first court appearance outlined some worrying and disturbing details about an alleged terror plot which we believe was planned by suspects from Greater Manchester,” he said.

“First of all, we know how significant the impact of this will be. Especially for our Jewish community in Greater Manchester and across the country.

“We have been working closely with the Community Security Trust, community groups and key stakeholders ahead of today’s hearing and will continue to update and support them throughout this case.

“Understandably, the general public will also be alarmed.

“Our preventive action followed a lengthy and carefully managed investigation.

“We are committed to ensuring all communities are safe and we do not currently believe there is a wider risk directly related to this case.”

Amanda Bomsztyk, Northern Regional Director of the Community Security Trust, said: “These allegations are very serious about a plan to carry out a terrorist attack against British Jews at a time of record levels of anti-Semitic hate crime.

“This is one of many recent and ongoing cases that demonstrate why the Jewish community needs such extensive security measures and why our continued partnership with the police and government is so vital.

“CST thanks Greater Manchester Police and other agencies for their work on this case and we will continue to work closely with the police to provide reassurance and protection to the Jewish community.

“We urge everyone in the community to carry on as normal, remain vigilant and report any anti-Semitism or suspicious activity in Jewish locations to CST and the police.”

First and foremost, for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Hits Radio app.