close
close

Battery warning after fire in Park Royal office – EALING.NEWS – The Voice of Ealing 7 towns

Firefighters are reminding the public to follow lithium-ion battery safety advice after a fire at an office block in Park Royal destroyed part of a first-floor office last Friday (10 May 2024).

The fire is believed to be accidental and was caused by a lithium-ion battery in a speaker.

The brigade was called at 5.49pm to the office building on Abbey Road and the incident was over for firefighters at 7.06pm. Crews from Acton, Wembley, Willesden and Ealing fire stations attended the incident.

Twenty people left the building before the Brigade arrived and no injuries were reported.

A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said: “Lithium batteries are liable to fail if incorrect chargers are used, so it is important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.

“You should unplug the charger when you’re done using it and we advise against leaving it unattended or charging while people are sleeping.

“Batteries can pose a fire risk if they are overcharged, short-circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it is very important to protect them from damage as well.

“Try to make sure they are not bumped during use or during transport as this can increase the chance of cell damage.”

Are you an Ealing resident with a story to share? Or found something we should know about? Get in touch with us by email: [email protected] or tweet us on Twitter @_EalingNews