close
close

Firefighters are tackling the fire caused by the battery charger

Police box and fire truck

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Broadley Road, Margate, on Tuesday afternoon (Getty Images)

Firefighters tackled a fire at a garage in Kent, believed to have been caused by a battery charger.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Broadley Road, Margate, at 16:56 BST on Tuesday.

The fire is believed to have started accidentally when a lithium-ion battery charger caught fire, the service said.

No injuries were reported.

Three fire engines were called out and firefighters used drum jets to extinguish the flames and a smoke screen to prevent smoke from entering the main property.

Fire officials urged the public to take precautions when purchasing lithium-ion batteries.

These include buying from a reputable retailer, charging only during the day when you’re at home, and avoiding storing, using or charging them in very hot or cold temperatures.

Watch BBC Kent on Facebookon Xand on Instagram. Send your story ideas to [email protected] or WhatsApp on 08081 002250.

Related Internet Links