Erling Haaland double puts Manchester City in control of title destiny

Manchester City went within a game of being crowned champions after Erling Haaland’s brace gave them a 2-0 win over Tottenham in the Premier League.

Haaland’s 51st-minute goal and added-time penalty – moments after substitute goalkeeper Stefan Ortega had saved brilliantly from Son Heung-min – sent City back to the top of the table at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium ahead of the final against West Ham on Sunday.

Title contenders Arsenal, who sit two points behind City on 86 points with a superior goal difference, needed Pep Guardiola’s side to drop points if they were to have their title destiny in their hands this weekend.

Arsenal beat Manchester United in their 37th match and now host Everton at the Emirates Stadium on the final day.

City started on the back foot as they managed the nerves of a potential title-defining occasion in north London. Brennan Johnson’s cross was met first time by Rodrigo Bentancur in the opening minutes as Ederson pounced to save his fourth sleeper.

Only a win would do for City if they are to return to the top before the final day, and Phil Foden understood the task as he almost gave his side the lead.

The England international capitalized on a gift from Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg’s skill that gave him the chance to finish on the volley, but Guglielmo Vicario spread out to deny him from inside the area.

Guardiola was more animated than usual on the touchline as his side struggled to establish themselves.

Pep Guardiola shouts instructions to Manchester CityPep Guardiola shouts instructions to Manchester City

Pep Guardiola shouts instructions from the touchline (Adam Davy/PA)

Ruben Dias was sloppy in possession on several occasions, Kevin De Bruyne was sent off and a wayward effort from Josko Gvardiol in the 39th minute was all they mustered from Foden’s golden opportunity.

However, De Bruyne responded well after the break. He forced another save from Vicario before the Belgium international was instrumental in the build-up to City’s 51st-minute opener.

The midfielder overlapped into a pocket of space which allowed him to pick out Haaland for a simple tap-in from inside the six-yard area.

The goal was greeted by cheers and chants of “you’re watching Arsenal” from the home section as the goal hurt rivals Spurs’ chances of a first title since 2004.

Ederson received a blow to the head in a collision with Cristian Romero and was soon replaced by Ortega. The Brazilian, like Tottenham’s Rodrigo Bentancur before him, reacted angrily on the touchline after being pulled down.

Ederson, left, reacts after being substituted for TottenhamEderson, left, reacts after being substituted for Tottenham

Ederson, left, reacts after being substituted for Tottenham (Adam Davy/PA)

It wasn’t long before City’s second-choice goalkeeper was called upon as Spurs piled on the pressure.

Dejan Kulusevski benefited from a lucky rebound from Manuel Akanji and the winger’s forced effort was saved by Ortega who managed to close his legs to keep his side in front and on their way to the top of the table.

Ortega’s heroics continued in the 86th minute when Akanji lost possession, allowing Son to go one-on-one. The German keeper stayed strong, putting out a firm foot to deny the Spurs skipper.

Substitute Jeremy Doku broke on the counter and bought Romero a penalty. Haaland was the most obvious and the Premier League goalscorer smashed his effort into the top left corner to seal a 2-0 win.