close
close

Two men are appearing in court over an alleged plot to carry out an Islamic State-inspired attack aimed at causing “multiple deaths using automatic weapons” against the Jewish community in the North West.

Two men who allegedly plotted to carry out an Islamic State-inspired gun attack against the Jewish community have appeared in court.

Walid Saadaoui, 36, of Crankwood Road, Abram, Wigan, and Amar Hussein, 50, of no fixed abode, are accused of plotting a terrorist attack intended to cause “multiple deaths using automatic weapons” in the north west of England, Westminster magistrates “The court heard on Tuesday.



The two men had intended to target law enforcement and the military in the “terrorist attack inspired by Isil or Daesh,” prosecutors said. Both are accused of preparing terrorist acts between December 13, 2023 and May 9, 2024.

READ MORE: All the latest Covid symptoms as new FLiRT variants hit UK

Bilel Saadaoui, 35, of Fairclough Street, Hindley, also appeared in court accused of making arrangements for Walid Saadaoui – who is his brother – after his death. He pleaded not guilty to a charge of failing to disclose information about an act of terrorism between the same dates.

The defendants appeared separately in the bank, flanked by police and wearing gray hoodies.

Hussein, who represented himself and had an interpreter, would not speak to confirm his name, date of birth or address. The other two men spoke only to confirm their identities.

Angelo Saponiere, defending Bilel Saadaoui, said his client was a “family member” who did not know about the alleged plans.

The men were arrested last week after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) executed four warrants in Bolton, Great Lever, Abram and Hindley. District Judge Louisa Cieciora remanded all three men in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on May 24.

GMP Deputy Chief Constable Rob Potts said the details of the case “will be understandably distressing and are likely to have a significant impact on communities across Greater Manchester and beyond”.

In a statement, he added: “Everyone should feel safe in our region, regardless of religion or race. We have worked closely with community groups and key stakeholders to address concerns and will continue to update them throughout this case.

“Local officers across Greater Manchester will continue to listen and act on concerns alongside partners to protect the public and keep you safe. The action we have taken so far follows a long and carefully managed investigation and we do not believe there is a wider risk to the public in this case.

“If you have any concerns about your safety or any suspicious activity in your area then I would encourage you to contact the police.”